THANK YOU!! I LOOK FORWARD TO THE CHALLENGE AND REPRESENTING THE COMMUNITY OF WEST BEND.

"IT'S TIME FOR A FRESH, INDEPENDENT VOICE."


YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD CANDIDATE

WEIGAND/MARQUARDT BELIEVE THAT PRO-RESPONSIBLE SPENDING = PRO-EDUCATION

We need a change on the school board to accomplish this equation.

ELECTION APRIL 6TH

Let your voice be heard.

Friday, March 12, 2010

My Letter to Jackson Elementary School PTO

Dear Jackson Elementary School Parents and Teachers,
Thank you for the opportunity to have some of my thoughts expressed to you. I am sorry I cannot be
here tonight, but a family commitment has me out of town.
I have lived in West Bend since I attended Fair Park Elementary School. I had some wonderful teachers there and fondly remember one of them named Miss Muehl. I still keep in touch with her sister, a retired Decorah Elementary School teacher.
Let me share with you a strong impression the years at Fair Park made on me. I came from a single parent home, something rare in the 60's. I could have been considered “at risk” because of that, yet the high expectations the teachers had of their students, including me, did not change because of a rare family situation. I am so thankful that high expectations were the norm in the Fair Park classrooms. The principal, Dale Westby made a wonderful impression on me too. High expectations and great staff are the makings of great schools.
Of the elementary schools in the West Bend School District, Jackson Elementary has the second highest test scores (a VERY close second to McLane). I attribute that success to parents and teachers here. High standards and high expectations are apparent here in Jackson. I have known Brian Heimark for many years and know that he is a man of high integrity.
As a board member, I will work hard to ensure those high standards are maintained here and throughout the district.
Yes, the West Bend School District is a low spending district. We should consider that a badge of honor. Many districts spend more per student than we do, yet have lower test scores. I fear that if our district continues to raise taxes, and not operate within their revenue limits, we will stress the already
stressed system, and hurt families who are struggling to make ends meet.. The European country of Greece is a place we could look to in order to understand what happens when out of control government spending cannot sustain itself. Greece ran out of other people's money, and they are in trouble.
I would like to help ensure that our schools are sustainable during the stressful economic times like we are facing today in our nation, state and community.
We will need to budget for things like space needs in Jackson before we ask the taxpayers for more money. They already generously support our schools and need to see that we are budgeting for the future, and that we are trustworthy with their money. The alternative is not acceptable.
Jackson has much to be proud of and I congratulate you on efficiently running your school, high test scores and parent involvement. I hope to see you continue leading the way through your example, and I look forward to serving on the school board to work with you to achieve these goals.
Dave Weigand
School Board Candidate